Frayed Connections

http://www.wackyowl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/snoop-dogg-holiday.jpg

Late November, after all the turkeys have been put to rest and the fingerless gloves start to come out of hiding, the Christmas fun train leaves the station. Lights go up, Michael Buble and Mariah Carey tracks are dug up, salt-stained Uggs are pulled out of the closet.

Twice a year, Eid comes around. It's a day of prayer, gratitude, family, food, and Eid moolah (definitely a song title on my never-to-be-released mixtape). Every Eid follows the same format, at least in my household. We roll out of the house in our finest (read: cleanest) clothes for prayer. we come back home to enjoy fabulous meals with family members and close friends (I especially love this part because the leftover food is essentially my lunch/dinner for the next week - #lowprephighreward).

The day usually ends with the ladies upstairs, laughing and gossiping with a biscuit in one hand and coffee in the other. Downstairs, you'll find all the men, lounging around, their voices booming; drowning out the BBC commentator on television.

However, in between the prayer and glorious lunch, there's always a lull. My mother will walk over to her tattered phonebook, filled with numbers, slightly faded,  from all across the globe. From Geneva to Mogadishu, from London to San Jose. An aunt here. An uncle there. A cousin or two over here. Hey, here's that friend of your cousin that gave you a hug when you were 5! You gotta give her a call as well. So we do. Hours and hours pass. My parents are both smiling, laughing, and speaking rapid-fire Somali in their booming outdoor voices while sprawled out on our couch. Eventually, the phone makes its way to me.

I love my grandmothers, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends. I love trying to maintain these connections while establishing my own.

I dread this moment every single time.

This time, it's my grandmother living with my rebelling/troubled cousin in Stockholm. As I take the phone from my mother, this overwhelming sense of self-disgust consumes me. I can't stand myself.

"Hello, ayayo (grandmother)?"

I proceed to have a 30 second conversation with her. The same 30 second conversation I've had with her on the phone every time for the past decade or so.

Same words.
Same responses.
Same phrases.

This now-20-year-old boy/man-child/grown-ass dude can barely speak Somali at a kindergarten level. I try to add depth. I try to at least perfect the accent, hoping that I can sound semi-respectable. No luck.

"Hi. How are you? How is everyone? I wish you all the best. Bye."

Done. Just like that. I can hear the resignation in her voice as she wishes me the best in school. It's as if she still holds out hope that I will eventually grasp the language and connect with her on a deeper level.

It kills me.

It destroys me that I avoid contact with my family members abroad solely out of embarrassment. I hate it. The only connections I have with my Somali culture and heritage is my name and my face. That's it. None. I'm a Canadian who just happens to be of Somali descent.

---------

And that's cool with me.

I could do without the tribalism and incessant backbiting that cripples my community.

However, we could use more inter-connectivity
We could use more sense of community; more looking out for each other.

Fortunately, for me, these are the values I remember and recall when I think of "Somali culture". These are the values and ideals I'll pass down to my future children.

Of course, I'd also value a little more of that Eid moolah.


4 comments:

  1. Same deal for me and my Chinese grandma.

    Always hated myself for not practicing Cantonese enough so that I could TRULY communicate with her. Always wanted to pull my vocab together for the next time we spoke but never did. The last words we ever exchanged happened in a couple minutes over the phone, same old same old about how I've always been a smart boy and how I should study hard.

    It eats me that I postponed my improvement to the very day she died, and I'm not even the good student she believed me to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a brighter note...

    Lets make Eid Moolah a reality ya bish, along with Tamillionaire.

    Also I got this idea,
    all three of us should take each other to our respective religious structures and expose one another to the rituals that we were raised to take part in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dam this was great I can definitely relate. I went to Sri Lanka two summers ago and got shitted on for my lack of language skills. I have a cousin my age (like months apart) whose house I was staying in. My mom kept trying to get me to chill with him and wanted us to become friends so badly but the language barrier was not helpful.

    The phone call thing is the realest shit i never wrote. Thank you doppelgangster. I definitely have to up my language game...the TSA actually offers tamil classes so I really have no excuse for my fuckery.

    Also down for religious exposure and still gotta do that tamil food day. I'll have to schedule one for the christmas break.

    and Eid Moolah is 2013's summer banger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so down for checking out all the rituals. We might even want to record it somehow, via photo essay or video.

    Here's the EP:

    Ramadan (Stay in the Fast Lane)
    Sunrise to Sundown
    Pil's Grimage
    HAM (Halal as a Motherfucker)
    Date Trees (ft. Da Prophet)

    ReplyDelete