The biggest risk I ever took for a burger

When I was 13 my parents went away on a trip for a few weeks, and I wasn't old enough in my mom's eyes to handle living on my own (or maybe she was cautious of how other parents would view this negatively even if I was capable of doing it at 13, she's always concerned with how people view our fam... actually kind of a wise move, I respect your choice mom) so we made a deal with the parents of a classmate and I was gonna stay at my boy Tremo's house while they were gone. 





Eurotrip was really just about the boobs for us I think
It was an eventful stay, lots of fun and weird shit happened during that period but lets stay on topic okay? 


So one night me and Tremo are chilling, shootin hoops at another friend's (Samwise) place down the street. We decided to have a movie-night/sleepover back at Tremo's place and watch the scandalously cool movies of the time for kids our age (movies that had scenes with exposed boobs): Harold and Kumar go to White Castle & Eurotrip. 

 When we finished Harold and Kumar (A movie about getting high and looking for fast food burgers for those of you who are too high brow for this shit), we were all really hungry for some burgers. Unreasonably hungry. We probably were trying to channel the single-mindedness of being high and hungry because we saw it in the movie and thought it was cool or something. Remember that we were young and lame, like, I had purple comic sans as my font on windows messenger AITE?

So I hatched a plan, being the scheming, independence chasing tweenager I was, and decided we were going to leave the house quietly in search of McDs even though it was roughly 2:00 AM and we were kids who weren't allowed to do anything without permission. We quietly put our shoes on, walked out the door and shut it gently behind us. I remember Tremo giggling at this shit as he did it, this was probably more fun for him than it was for me.

It took maybe 15 minutes for us to get to the neighbourhood mall where the McD was, and immediately we saw that only the drive thru was open. We still tried to open the front doors. Locked. We tried going to the drive thru and asking for service. Ignored. We tried jumping in unison at the speaker box where you place orders, hoping to dupe the weight activated sensor that's supposed to recognize cars. That didn't work either.

Eventually a car pulled up and I took the initiative to ask them if they could make an order for us, they didn't help us out. Then another car pulled up, I asked them the same thing, and they told me "Get in the car".





I looked back at Samwise and Tremo, who were now standing like 15 fucking feet away from me for some reason... those bastards, and I got in the car.

I DID WHAT I HAD TO DO, I WAS THE OLDEST, THEY DEPENDED ON THE BREADWINNER.

There were two people in the car, a West Indian couple in their twenties, the girlfriend was driving, the dude was in shotgun, and me in the back right. They asked me how old we all were. I told them I was 13, and the other boys 12 (Samwise) and 11 (Tremo). They asked me what I wanted, I told them exactly our order and how I had planned it so that it would cost nearly exactly 20 dollars and I handed them a bill. The dude took my bill and then asked me if I knew why he asked me to get in the car. I nervously said that I didn't know, with my hand on the door handle ready to jet at any moment. He said to me "This is scarborough man! I don't know what you kids are doing, this could be fake" as he waved the 20 around.

(Scarborough is the suburb we grew up in, which was believed to be a dangerous place by many people in the city, for all you international readers out there who don't know, yessss for you hordes of international fans.)

After that, all of us in the car relaxed considerably. It turned out somehow that they also found me suspicious and the exchange wasn't so one sided in terms of safety. They turned out to be great people, the girlfriend even got quite upset that the staff ignored us kids' attempts to make orders and wanted to "cuss them out", to which the boyfriend protested that we shouldn't do that in case they "fuck up our orders".



In the end I got the burgers, exchanged goodbyes and goodnights to the couple, and returned to the pride with the prize of the hunt. Samwise and Tremo breathed in relief, taking their fingers off the call button on their cellphones on which they had pre dialed 911.  We walked home laughing and eating.




Shit I went over my 5 minute study break to write this, got to get back to my next 25 minute session POMODORO FOR A BETTER TOMORROW
peace wish me luck on my midterm

2 comments: