THE NAMESAKE

Wuts up guys wuts really good, happy new year to our loyal readers we appreciate each and every none of yalls support. May this year bring good tidings to your existences.

Today I would like to take the time to tell the tale of the man, the legend, the boy, the kid, the one, the only, the essence and the realness. The best guy. Sharkface.

The name the apotheosis of rawness. You can still hear it spoken in hushed whispers at CENSORED CI. Its presence as palpable as the New Spiceland Supermarket fragrance hovering in the hallways. 

Equal parts wu tang and anime, this alter-ego was the base from which I made my greatest endeavours. From killing rap battles to asking girls out to pissing in public washrooms, I drew my confidence from my chosen name. (Not to say that my government name aint all that. But after years of having to explain the point of a silent g, i realized it wasn't the most suitable name for me to rap under.) 

Sharkface has been with me through thick and thin, through the fire and in the water. But fam, a challenger approaches...

September 2003, white rapper Macklemore releases this video and instigates my identity crisis...
And to top it off this dude says this in a Complex interview :
"It started out as kind of a joke. Just playing on the fact that everyone has their own little squad or their own little gang. You know, [their] fanbase." 
...a joke? really?

Fuck you macklemore. corny ass cracker in your corny ass thrift shop. and how come MURS didnt blow up off his gay song (which was a much better song too)? He made WAY riskier moves with that song AND that video but I dont see his ass on Ellen.

I thought about it for a long time and at first I thought this was the end. Of an era. If I put out rap songs as Sharkface, white people everywhere will ignorantly call me out for biting when it was my name first and that is some bullshit. Macklemore single-handedly handicapped my rap career. And I thought I'd have to change my name for this belligerance...




BUT NAW.

MY NAME IS MY NAME. Shout outs to Pusha T.

Shout outs to Marlo. 

Shout outs to John Proctor.

Sharkface will live on, gang or no gang.

fuck macklemore and anybody that love em.
SHARKFACE out. peace



P.S. (no hate doe i like macklemore this is mandatory listening for nonblack rappers tbh)
P.P.S. (hopefully we are gonna step our post game up this year so look out for that)

2 comments:

  1. took you guys long enough to put somethin up. JEEZ. But I luh you sharkface, you rock, don't ever change (Lizzie McGuire).

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL my first groupie..
    and im a little freaked out by the lizzie mcguire reference since i was talking about hilary duff like yesterday

    ReplyDelete